If you have two computers in your home and would like to use them for Multi-player gaming or file sharing etc., You can do this with the help of one extra LAN Card.
Things you must* need
1 CrossOver Cable(X Over cable) of preferred length (Price: Rs.10-15/meter).
1 extra LAN Card (D-Link Fast Ethernet Card – *Recommended Price: Rs. 300)
Setup Required in Host Computer
Lets Start, Let us consider Two Computers A & B. You should consider Computer A as Host Computer. Buy a LAN Card (D-Link Fast Ethernet Card – Recommended) which costs around Rs. 300 and attach it to the the Host Computer’s PCI Slot, then install the drivers from the CD which is equipped with the LAN Card. After installing the LAN Card Drivers, Go to Network Connections which is located in the Control Panel.
1. Right click on the newly installed connection not the existing one, then go to Properties.
2. Then TCP/IP > Properties.
3. Assign IP Address as: 192.168.1.1 .
4. Subnet Mask will be automatically assigned to: 255.255.255.0.
5. Click OK, You are done with the Setup in the Host Computer.
Setup Required in Second Computer
1. Go to Control Panel > Network Connections > Select a Connection > Properties.
2. TCP/IP > Properties.
3. Assign IP Address as: 192.168.1.2 .
4. Subnet Mask will be automatically assigned to: 255.255.255.0 .
5. Click OK, You are done with the Setup in the Second Computer.
Now attach the Cross Over (X Over) Cable into the newly installed LAN Card of the Host Computer A and the other side to the Second Computer B.
Testing the Connections
1. On the Host Computer, go to Start > Run > Type CMD.
2. In command prompt type: ping 192.168.1.2 -t .
3. If you have done all the above steps perfectly, You should get reply from the Second Computer B.
4. Do the same process on the Second Computer by changing the ping command to ping 192.168.1.1 -t .
5. If your did not get a Reply, Try turning off Firewall of the two computers. For configuring Firewall connections, go to Start > Run > Type firewall.cpl .
6. After turning off the Firewall, You should start receiving reply’s from the Second Computer B.
If you have any doubts, Just post comments. I will respond to each individual comment, Thanks.